Sunday, January 09, 2011

Snow! Snow! Come Out in the Snow!!


It's funny what happens with the weather in a mere couple of hours in Texas. Yesterday I had a conversation with Abby.

Abby: Mom, can you believe they said it's supposed to SNOW tomorrow?! How stupid is that?!

Me: Honey, this is Texas. I think just about anything can happen.

A little after midnight it started raining. It rained all night long and even into morning. By 11 a.m. the snowflakes started falling. These pics were taken around 1 p.m.!! Can you believe that?! It's true. In Texas you can go from short sleeves to winter parkas in about 12 hours! Crazy!

I got to try out my new camera in the snow. I was so nervous about damaging it somehow that I didn't adjust any settings or do fun stuff. It's probably better that way. I stopped shooting pics of the house and kids in time to build a snow man and have a snowball fight with the family.


I keep telling the kids that this isn't the weather I grew up with in North Texas. We never saw snow like this! They find that hard to believe. Maybe my enthusiasm at snowman building and making my first ever snow angel helped convince them. Honestly, I don't think they care that much - they were much too busy having fun themselves! It didn't take long for friends to arrive at our house. They briefly came in for some hot chocolate. After that we didn't see the "big" kids for hours!! I think the entire neighborhood was traversed. They have gone to bed with visions of school cancellations dancing in their heads. Oh please!! Say it isn't so!!!

No comments: