Sunday, April 03, 2011

Capturing Their Essence

es·sence [es-uhns] –noun


1. the basic, real, and invariable nature of a thing or its significant individual feature or features

One thing I have savored and I mean savored as a mother is each unique personality my children bestow. I absolutely adore that they are their own people. I love seeing traits in them that are glimpses of their extended and immediate family; however, I really enjoy observing them be themselves. It's very interesting to me to note how each child perceives and responds to situations differently. I really enjoy the challenge of parenting three different ways. It keeps me on my toes.

Here is Abby is her environment - my Dad's place in Tennessee. She's free to roam all 57 acres of glorious untamed (well, Dad tames most of it) fields. She and Noah get to ride the tractor, help out where necessary, and spend countless hours with Bandit, the local farm dog. Abby talks endlessly about horses, cows, and other animals while we're there. Mostly, I think she'd like to run her own dog rescue. Dogs, dogs, dogs and the country - that's my girl!!

She's my blooming Granola Gal!



Noah. My little man. He looks like a ball player, doesn't he?! Noah's essence is "Sports" for sure - for sure!! As my fingers glide across the keys, he's outside shooting hoops. The boy never quits. I love his enthusiasm. I love his determination. I admire how hard he works at something he loves. It's amazing to me. He has this obedience that carries through in everything he does. There are times when I wish I was more "Noah".

Future President of the U.S. of A - I'm just sayin'!!!



Oh Glory Be!!! Here is Lily! Where Abby is soft and gentle - Lily is a bit rough and enthusiastic. Where Noah is quiet and kind - Lily is loud and quick to offend ... and then laugh at you! Seriously, I've never seen anyone like her!! She is quick. She is FUNNY. She is a goofball. She is very sweet. She gives the best kisses. She is quick to compliment. Lily is so different that I have a hard time hiding how much she amuses me. For the record, we all are amazed at her wit. The older kids will even "bait" her and say things to get a certain response. Sometimes they get what they want and sometimes we are all surprised by what comes out of her mouth!

Lily is pure JOY!!

No comments: