Saturday, February 05, 2011

Strange Encounter at the Counter


Remember the good old days when salespeople practiced tact and provided service? I miss those days! Today I had the weirdest encounter at Macy's. Initially, it left me feeling a little like this:
Here's what happened: I bought a pair of sunglasses a few weeks ago. Everything was great until they broke. Nothing could be done to fix them, I didn't drop them or anything. I was even being good about putting them in their protective pouch. One day, I pulled them out and they were broken. Time to go back to Macy's!

I went directly to the sunglasses counter where the salesperson was knee deep in binders. (????) I asked, "Are you available or are you busy?" He said, "No. I'm okay. How can I help you?" I showed him my sunglasses and explained I didn't have my receipt, but I did charge them to my Macy's card. This is where it got weird. He asked for my name. I spelled it out for him (like I always do since my name is so difficult). I swear, he could have been on Saturday Night Live pretending to type. He did nothing except press a few keys then looked at me and said, "Are you sure it was just a few weeks ago?! This says you haven't put a purchase on your card in over a year!"

What?!

"Uh. Yes. I am positive." I look at him with question marks flying around my head. It's at this time he moves aside. A mirror is directly behind him. I can clearly see the computer screen in the mirror - it was a home page directory. I look at him, I look at the mirror, I look at him - I furrow my brow. Magic change in attitude from Mr. Salesperson Liar Pants.

"You know what?! I'm just going to exchange these for you! Let's get you a brand new pair" This is followed by a lengthy explanation of why my charges didn't show up, etc. etc. I "uh huh'ed" and "thank you'ed" my way out of there asap. What a weirdo!!

Moral of the story - save your receipts! I guess we live in a weird world where people try to pull crazy stuff. I don't think I'm going to corrupt my moral code over inexpensive sunglasses. Poor crazy Mr. Salesperson Liar Pants. I feel sorry for him - beside his receding hair pulled back in a pony tail, red vest, and small stature. I feel sorry for his weirdness, but I'm grateful for my new sunglasses!!



No comments: