Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Joy 101

Joy.  Do you have it?  Do you want it?  How do we come across it?  I am asking because I don't know.  I keep saying I want joy in my life.  I keep willing myself to feel it, produce it, cultivate it.  I don't know if I can.  This is my journey.  This is my own Glenda Guide to Joy 101 (we'll throw in the number to make it feel official).  Here is my plan:  For one week I will wake up everyday and remind myself that today I will find joy.  Where that joy comes from is inconsequential.  My focus is set upon seeking and finding good.  I hope it centers my brain.

Another thing occurred to me just now as I stood up, walked around and pondered what I wanted to write.  I realized that every time my kids go to spend time with their Dad, I think, "This is my time to be selfish."  Hmmmm ... I'm focusing upon selfishness.  I'm cultivating a selfish lifestyle.  That is NOT who I want to be.  I have a new trick.  This time I'm telling myself, "This is my time to be selfless."  That means I need to step outside of myself and get things done - whether it's growing my business, helping a friend, smiling or sharing idle chitchat with a stranger ... this is my time to be selfless.  This is my time to grow.

I'm not sure how all this sounds to y'all.  One thing I do know is I've been hurting.  A LOT.  I want to stop.  I want to do better.  This is the only way I know how - writing, sharing, doing.  That just may be my own personal mantra; however, I'd have to add one more verb:  loving.  Life is empty without it.

No comments: