Monday, April 15, 2013

I Made Risotto

... and here's what I've learned:

  1. Start with a base of Homemade Stock and warm it, but be careful not to bring it to a boil.
  2. Dice your mushrooms to bring out the full flavor
  3. Use the best ingredients to maximize your results (just get the Shallots - I stood debating spending an extra few cents on Shallots for about five minutes and then thought, "Seriously?!" and bought the Shallots)
  4. Slow and steady with a moderate temperature.  Stir.  Stir.  Stir.
  5. It's okay to ask someone else to stir for a few minutes.
  6. Test for doneness.  Add more stock if you need to.
  7. It'll take a lot longer than you expected, but it's worth every moment.
Risotto.  Risotto taught me a lot about life tonight.

I thought about making the Risotto weeks ago.  I had ordered some at Abacus a few months ago and haven't been able to forget it.  There was my first lesson:  I had to try it, desire it, think of it, plan for it, and finally - decide to do it.  I was worried my version would fail.  I thought it would take too much time.  I wondered if the kids would like it.  Tonight I decided my desire to do something outweighed my worries regarding it.  I decided to take the plunge and cook - over an open flame ... dicing, measuring, and stirring to my heart's content.

Guess what?  I was prepared.  I had all the ingredients.  It did take longer than I thought, but I didn't care.  I was giddy with anticipation.  I was accomplishing something I'd been thinking about for weeks.  I felt - successful.

It was wonderful.

You know the best part?  Noah was right there in the kitchen with me.  He made Pesto for the Salmon.  He started the charcoal on the grill.  He was my first taste tester with the Risotto - and he loved it.  I felt proud.  Accomplished.

This is what cooking does for me, though.  I feel this sense of worth and accomplishment few other actions bring me.  Writing does it as well, but I don't make enough time for it. 

Accomplishment and cooking.  My two best friends.   

No comments: